Hello and thank you for visiting my website.
I am a clinical psychologist in Royal Oak, Michigan focusing on the treatment of mental health and substance abuse disorders.
In my practice, as a certified Cognitive Therapist through the Academy of Cognitive Therapy in Philadelphia, I use cognitive therapy and other methods including psychodrama, dialectical behavioral therapy, mindfulness and EMDR collaboratively with people in the transformative process of psychotherapy to grow and learn more fulfilling ways to regulate thoughts, moods and behaviors so that they no longer cause unpleasant or self-destructive outcomes. In addition to teaching the skill of cognitive therapy, I work with people holistically utilizing many scientifically supportive neurobehavioral, relational and action methods through individual and group settings to integrate mind, body and spirit.
I treat a wide-range of emotional difficulties including anxiety and depressive disorders, as well as substance and other abuse and dependence problems. At a deeper level, clients and I often work together to strengthen personal authenticity, meaningfulness and direction, emotional connectedness, and interpersonal effectiveness and satisfaction. I also provide family and couples therapy, and psychodramatic group work, addressing life conflicts and increasing resilience and psychological well-being.
My work includes the treatment of anxiety and depressive disorders, and substance and other abuse and dependence. Having worked in the expertise area of dual diagnosis for over 29 years, I understand the importance of providing clients with an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan, and utilizing state of the art, clinically proven, empirically based treatment methods. Other conditions that occur with people who may benefit from individual therapy include…
- Depression or other mood disorders
- Anxiety, fear, specific phobias, panic attacks or obsessions and compulsions (OCD), general worrying
- A major life change such as loss of job, loss of driver’s license, legal proceedings, incarceration, illness
- Loss due to death, divorce, or abandonment
- Desire to improve personal or professional relationships
- Desire to heal from experience of abuse or trauma
- Low self-esteem or other blockages which keep you or a loved one from achieving goals
- Loneliness, social disconnect or social anxiety
- Feeling disconnected from yourself or the direction or meaning in life
- Difficulty controlling your drinking or drug use, or desire to explore abstinence or moderate drinking possibilities
- Difficulty with a loved one with a mental health or addictive disorder
- Drawing boundaries, keeping limits, finding your voice, learning not to rescue others.
One of the goals I have with all of my clients is to help them with the initial feelings they may have about being in therapy. I never judge clients, but instead, I help them understand that everything we talk about is confidential, and help them feel safe. Whether you are searching for a therapist for yourself or for a friend or loved one, my hope is that you will find this web site to be both informative and helpful. After helping people like you for many years, I know how painful psychological stress or an addiction can be, for you or a loved one, but I also know how much better life can become with treatment.
I feel honored to be involved in the important personal journeys of people’s lives. I hope visiting this web site will be your first step toward a better life!
Thank you for visiting.
Dr. Elizabeth A. Corby